Spring Diet and Lifestyle
Welcome to Spring!
The undeniably most popular season
of the year is here. The wisdom of Ayurveda is here to help us
balance the shift of seasons and get us glowing.
Spring is a time of increased warmth and wetness. Spring is also associated with the qualities of ‘Kapha,’ which are
heavy, cold and oily.
the Climate gets warmer and the heat reduces the digestive power of body, As a
result Kapha increases leading to various diseases like Cough, Cold, Allergies, Sinusitis, Indigestion to name
It is a known fact that Spring is the
time of year for seasonal allergies. As the trees start to bloom and
the pollen is released into the atmosphere, allergy sufferers begin
their annual ritual of sniffling and sneezing.
As per Ayurveda, the duration from mid March to mid May constitutes the Vasant Ritu or Spring.
Diet and lifestyle :
To stay balanced, focus on foods and activities that are
- Eat more foods that are Pungent (Spicy), Bitter, Astringent / Light,
Dry, Warm: such as flavourful steamed veggies,soups, brown rice.
- Eat less foods that are Sweet, Sour, Salty / Heavy, Cold, Oily: such as
fried foods, ice cream, heavy dairy.
- Consumption of Honey, Barley,roasted meat, mango juice are advice during the spring season
- Drinking sips
of hot water would also aid the digestion. Kapha
is predominant during day time from 6am to 10 am so its best to avoid
eating a heavy breakfast and is best suited if one has a light breakfast. It is best if one avoids cold, oily foods & excessive
sweet or sour foods.
which could be used to reduce kapha and fight the allergies during spring
season are spices, which can be added to your food such as coriander,
cumin, turmeric, onions and horseradish .
- Fresh ginger tea prepared by boiling
fresh ginger in water also reduces the kapha , honey could be added to this tea.
honey clears mucous and kapha due to
its heating, drying and channel clearing effect. It is the best sweetener
for kapha types and is good for all in spring.
- Regular Exercise and avoiding sleep in daytime can prevent kapha accumulation.
- Exercise appears to have the advantage of
being able to jump-start the immune system.
- Oil Massage and Dry massage
should be done regularly. Herbal Bath with help of herbs like sandal wood which
have a cooling effect also help in strengthening the body and improving the immunity.
- Yoga postures benefit the immune system by
increasing the circulation of blood cells, decreasing stress hormones, and
stimulating the lymphatic system.
- Kapha should be controlled quickly, by resorting to strong emesis therapy (Vamana Panchakarma procedure),Nasya (nasal medication) and other therapies.
It is advisable to attend Panchkarma therapies which are performed under the supervision of an Ayurvedic Physician.